Thursday 20 January 2011

Arthur Coves Trout Patterns.

Arthur Cove died on the 18th December 2009 aged 79.
He was a good friend who I will never forget. I have lots of great memories and wish I could remember half his stories. I used to go shooting with him and have Trout , Coarse and Sea fished with him and all I can say is he was damned good at all types of fishing.
Not many anglers these days are all rounders, which i think is a shame as you learn from each of the disciplines.
 Arthur was best known for his trout fishing and so to the point of this post.
His wife Pauline and Grandson James said I can photograph some of his fly patterns and put them on here or somewhere on the net so people can see how the originals were tied. I spoke to one of the Fulling Mill team who said Arthur used to ring them up to tell them off if they had messed about with his pheasant tail nymph.
 I just thought it would be a shame to let a bit of Angling history so to speak slip by. His book will always be there to read for future anglers, however I hope to get some of his "secret" flies.......only joking. He did not hide his specials, only from me!




A favourite of mine, which works for me better than his Cove nymph. Not sure if the green tag is intentional .
Tied as the pheasant tail version but with Heron herl.
Works well fished deep, and not moving, for me anyway......
I will try and get lots more photos when time allows.
Thanks , dave

No comments:

Post a Comment